Thursday, May 26, 2011

ie:

We all have people we look up to. Most of us guys if asked, would tell you our fathers are our heroes. To women, their mothers. But what if you have a selfish mother or a cruel or absent father? Do not think that will not impact you and your relationships.

Who taught you how to dress yourself, hold a spoon, or more complicated tasks such as driving or carrying on an adult conversation? The ones you looked up too. Hopefully you are not dressing like your father or have the same haircut, but the people around you, that you look up to, greatly influence you. I am not a psychiatrist and do not plan on taking that path, but I think we all know this to be true.

If you are on a team, you want to look like the other members on your team. You want to have the same goals and ideas for achieving those goals. We strive to be as much like the other guys as possible. The time we spend doing that is even called practice. We practice everything together. No one practices alone. One who does is commonly known as an arrogant prick (Brock Lesnar = tool).

If the people we have around us (parents, guardians, etc.) and the people we grew up with are angry or anxious, then we will more than likely drift that way. This also plays out in your relationships. I have seen this for myself. My parents are very loving, supportive, and affectionate. I too am this way. So when I came to be married to a woman not used to that environment, we struggled. Not that she didn't try. It was just something she wasn't used to. My examples played an obvious role in developing who I am today; parents that love me, missionaries willing to give it all up, and the list goes on.

Take a look around you. You are currently being influenced. My only hope is that it is in a positive way.

No comments:

Post a Comment