Monday, May 9, 2011

Adventure!


Rock climbing! Sky diving! White water rafting! What do all these have in common? They are all actions. In order to do these things it involves you actually doing something. When you do them, that's all you are doing. You are in the moment with clear goals and destinations. You are doing! Watching someone climb a mountain or raft down the Colorado, gets me pumped up. I want so badly to do those things and yet I find myself staying on the couch. My friends know this about me, that there are certain movies you can not watch with me. Prefontaine in one of those. If you have not seen the greatest running movie of all time here you go. I highly suggest it.


I used to run cross country. Notice the past tense used there. When I watch that movie and see the passion involved, the life focus driven forward, I get so frustrated with myself. Why am I not being awesome like that?

So why do we stay on the couch? We feel like if we try, we will fail. We feel that that activity is only for the pros and that we won't be as good as the other guy. But they had to start somewhere. Many of those who do those things professionally started when they were little kids. So if they did it when they were small and not good at whatever it is that that do now, why can't I do it? It is important for a single guy to set those crazy goals for themselves if nothing else to keep 'em active. So I have started doing. When someone says “hey let's go off-roading in the desert?” I say “Let's GO!” When a new opportunity for adventure presents itself, I will take it and wrestle it to the ground and make it mine.

Word of caution to those who would dare me, I will take the dare. Try me. I dare you.

No comments:

Post a Comment