Friday, May 13, 2011

Last Words

"I have tried so hard to do the right" - Grover Cleveland
Someones last words can be iconic but most of our final statements to people are things we don't realize will be our last. Google famous last words sometime and you will see a plethora of hilarious and awkward things people have said. When we say goodbye to people at the end of the day at work or so long to friends after a good night of partying, we don't think about it as the very last connection to those people. I don't want this to turn morose or morbid here, but what would your last words be to people if you knew they would be your last to them?

I try to take the time lately to individually say goodbye to my fellow employees. I remind them of the good job they did or how they helped me with this or that or how they are just an important person to me. I have been amazed at the difference it can make at work and with my family. My dad goes on a lot of trips overseas and he is awesome when it comes to this. He will call each of his kids while in the gate area for whatever flight he is catching and you can bet the call will not end until after he tells us he is proud of us and loves us very much. I look forward to those calls. Not because I am desperate to hear him tell us that, he tells us that all the time, but it is comforting in a strange way to know he is being deliberate with his words.

Things of course are a little different when you know they will be your last words to someone you care about. On the day of my divorce hearing, I knew my words to her that day would be my last. I was already packed up for California and there would be no reason for me to contact her. After court, we walked out together to the parking lot (not on purpose. We just both happened to park there) and it felt like the walk down the green mile. We didn't speak. We had nothing to say, until she turned one direction towards her car and I to mine. I knew it was my last chance to tell her exactly what I needed to for me to have closure. I will leave you with those now:

“I still love you. Sorry I couldn't make things work out. Good luck.”

No comments:

Post a Comment