Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Who's Your Daddy

When the time came to divide the common property, I made a drastic statement that to this day I do not regret. I told her she can take what she wanted, but I will fight to the death for custody of the dog. We never had any children (something to be discussed some other time) and my dog in the years leading up to this time became my boy. He is not my first dog. All throughout my childhood I was fortunate enough to have parents who saw the importance of having a dog around to help us learn to be responsible and caring for smaller creatures. We always had strays or rescue dogs. Usually they were small mutt mixes with no pedigree to speak of but they almost always ended up being my dogs. I loved these dogs. They were my friends when I had none. They played with me when Mom and Dad were busy with the other kids or with work.

When I got hitched and moved into my own place, we decided the place we were at was too small for pets. We then bought a huge house and it took us a while until we figured out the house felt a little empty. We needed to hear the pitter-patter of little feet and we were not ready for kids. Not long after we started thinking about getting a dog, a great friend of mine offered me a deal I couldn't pass up. He was moving into a smaller townhouse and his dog would not be comfortable there. The dog is an 80 pound boxer named Tyson. He is housebroken but not too bright. He told me Tyson was a good dog but not very trainable. He would give the dog to me and he would include renewed shots, cage, toys, and food for a month. He would be my first big dog and I was nervous but how could I say no?


When my friend brought him over the first time, he suggested I get a long chain to put him out on. I told him I wanted to try just setting his boundaries instead. I walked him around the yard twice on the leash and after that he never left the property. In the next few weeks I trained him to walk next to me on the trail without a leash, the classics (shake, sit, come, jump, roll over, etc.) and he could not be a better dog.

He was my rock at a time when my wife left. He was my buddy when I was feeling down. He always is ready for a hug when I need one and I'm a hugger so that is a lot. I don't know what I would have done without him. Anyone who has met him instantly can tell he is my dog. I could have taken the couches and the bed but nothing can replace that smiling mug when I come home and a good hug whenever I need one.

1 comment:

  1. I completely understand. We had a black lab that my grandpa named Zeus. We got him when I was just barely 10. Just three weeks ago we had to put him down after 15 years of love and loyalty. I cried like I would never love any animal again but I also knew that was not true. Last week we adopted a Siberian husky from the Indiana humane society. Her name is aurora. She has to be the sweetest thing in the world and even though I know she will not out live me (she is already 5) I do know that I can not imagine my life without a dog. Ever.

    ReplyDelete