Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Nice Guys Finish Last Part 1

Too many times I have been asked "how do I find a nice guy like you?" My first reaction is that there is one standing right in front of you but then I always ask, where they are looking. Many times the first answer is a bar, or clubs or whatever dance party is happening that week. I loathe clubs. I do not dance. (in public. i am an excellent car dancer. you know, where you are singing along and imagining your feet are doing amazing things. no homo.) After spending time on the road for a training job I had, I began to get comfortable with the hotel bar scene and eventually have grown to enjoy watching the occasional UFC fight and sharing some drinks with the other patrons at the local bar. These are mostly not good guys. These are mostly guys who: 1. don't have anywhere else to be, 2. couldn't come up with a better idea, or 3. need a place they can feel remotely comfortable walking up to the hot girl at the other end of the bar, get turned down, and go right back to drinking. Why do women go to places like these, meet the slime that prowl the dance floor, and then are let down in the end because the guy turned out to be a jerk. How can you be surprised?

Today I was discussing where to meet people for the purpose of dating. Suggestions from the women at work (and I am not making this up): the store, at a gas station, produce aisle, footlocker. Apparently it is ok just to walk up to a stranger pumping their gas and ask for their number. Forgive me for being old fashioned, but I need to have a conversation with someone first before I ask them for their number. I have been a nice guy for too long I think. Since middle school, I only have memories of the tools in the class getting all the girls. The guys with the jerseys and chains, that call women bitches are the ones that had dates to prom. The idiots who forget birthdays and avoid her family, who drive nice cars they can't afford and blow cheap cigarette smoke into her face, the guys who drink Natty Light and go to strip clubs, those are the ones with the hot women. So what does a nice guy get?

I suppose I get to go to the bar and watch the game alone and I know some friends who envy my ability to do so, but that's just about it. What I want to know; where are the nice girls? why do they go for the a**holes first? why do the nice guys finish last?

2 comments:

  1. Dude, preaching to the choir. Always going for the a** holes. I just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to think I am a nice girl. In. All honesty, I met Ron online. I don't fine any shame in talking to someone online a few times before you meet them. I would never give someone at the store or gas station my number. That seems like a horrible idea. I talked to Ron for a week online, then a few days on the phone... and then we met. Haven't been apart for more than a week since. Like I said, no shame in online meeting.

    ReplyDelete