Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Confessions Of A Workaholic

I am in love...with working. I love the sense of accomplishment it offers. I enjoy doing the tasks that others dread like painting or mowing the lawn and even moving because at the end of the day, I am able to see the difference my hard work was able to make.

One thing I always look forward to is going to work and having another chance to organize, correct, create or destroy (I have also done some home remodeling and I got pretty good at the demo portion). When my wife moved out and things obviously were going down hill, I started going into work early and leaving late. Not because my performance was slipping and I had to make up the difference but because I knew that work was a safe place for me to be. I was comfortable with the people I worked with and they weren't going to leave me and take my couches with them. I knew I could go into work and not have to think about her or what she was doing or who she was with. I could just do my work. Bad idea.


When the time came for me to quit that job, I realized I was losing a part of me. I would no longer have stable employment. I would no longer have a cubicle to hide in or a pretend email to check up on to occupy my time. I would now have to face the world. I was talking to someone at work today that has gone through a similar circumstance and I asked if they had processed their divorce. The response I got scared me because it was too familiar. "I just focus on work now. I will deal with that later." My answer to that shocked them a bit because I said, what is going to happen when you find someone else and all you have to show for your time away from your ex is work. Do you think you will be ready emotionally when the time comes if all you do is work?

I think work is great. I think when you go through hard times, it is good not to stay in bed but to remain productive day to day, however, do not treat work as an escape. It will take everything you give it and give you nothing emotionally in return. Face your fears and take the time out to confront your feelings and not use that time to return phone calls you know can wait. But that's just what one guy thinks. Anyone feel differently?

No comments:

Post a Comment