Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Last Day

Something about me you should know: I have never been fired.

I have always had the ability to slide out the door right before things either really get bad or before I do. I have always been able to exit gracefully from a scene if not truly welcome or appreciated. Today I managed to do it once again but only just barely.

I held on to my last job as long as I possibly could because it was so easy. Everyday it would be the same thing being served to the same customer and there was little room for creativity. That part I was able to funnel into my writing and other portions of my life and I was thankful for that, but it slowly turned me bitter knowing that I was not allowed to use that side of my brain for the majority of the day. I knew if I was only allowed the opportunity I could make some real amazing things happen. But no one really cares when you are just one lonely cog in the machine. Shut up and keep your head down was a phrase I would have to remind myself of daily and it broke me.

As mentioned before, I held on a little to long. It was a paycheck (and not a very good one), steady and fair for the kind of work I was performing. I had a good boss who made sure my hours were regular, but I was unhappy, unfulfilled in a job I knew was not meant to last. I found myself in a new place, starting a new life away from everything and everyone familiar only to wind up doing something I didn't want to do. Why would I move out to California to do a job I could very well have done back home? Sure I have bills, but I have principles too. And so, after considering everything, I turned in my notice.

Side note: turning in a notice is terribly confusing for a business whose turnover is usually due to walk-outs.

I have no job to jump right into (yet). I have no savings (maybe a month or two worth). I have a few prospects for the future but nothing secured. And I feel great. I will feel better of course doing something I love for money, but I am no longer doing anything just for the money like before. I feel confident great things are in store that I will never regret making myself available for. So this is what if feels like to follow your dreams...

2 comments:

  1. Wow I am in this exact same dilemma now. I have a job I am doing that I don't really want to do because I don't feel like it is going anywhere and I am only keeping it around because it is a paycheck but it is hindering me from really doing something great in the other areas of my life and my real career goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But then again how does following our dreams and making ourselves available to all that is out there really fit into the 1-8-5 plan?

    ReplyDelete