Thursday, November 3, 2011

Adult Birthday

Tomorrow I will have been myself for 29 years. That, in my opinion, is a long time. I have no idea what things will be like tomorrow as a 29 year old. Considering I have always thought that at 20 you were an adult and at 25 you are old, 29 is a fool's age. I have always been taught to respect my elders, but now I am one.

To answer the question, yes, I am having a party. No, not a par-tay, just a party. A few friends getting together for a simple meal and good wine around a fire if the weather holds out. Sounds boring to some of you I'm sure but keep in mind, I am an old man now.

I was asked what I want for my birthday. Good question. What are you supposed to say as an adult? Of course there is a long list of stuff that would be cool to have. Lots of fun gadgets and I will never be too old for Legos. But I also could use a new electric razor, or a comforter for my bed. Some new floor mats for my car would be nice and I would really appreciate someone paying my rent next month. But those are things that old people want right? Not for a guy's birthday.

Then I was asked the most important question I have been asked this week and trust me, this has been no easy week. "What do you want to do with your 29th year?" Wow. Great question..... I have no idea.

I want to get through my twenties with a bang. I want to do all the things everyone always regrets not doing until they were too old to enjoy them. I want to rock climb in the mountains and go on a whale watching tour in the ocean. I want to fly in a glider and spend a sunrise in a balloon. I want to go scuba diving and deep sea fishing, hang gliding and motorcycle riding. This next year will be a year of "do" for me. A year of wonderful experiences only few have had. You know, before my hip goes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment