Monday, November 21, 2011

Future Kids

Dear Future Kids,

I hope you are doing well and taking good care of Mom. I trust that you are doing well in school or whatever that online course is that you do now is called.

I have a hard time imagining the world that you live in. To think you will never know what it means to tape a show on tv or make a mix tape let alone what a tape of any kind is. I know that physical data sharing and saving is such an old way of doing things but I can remember when my family had to go to the video store to rent a movie.

You will not have understood some of the stories I have shared with you like that time I got stuck on line at the post office for two hours trying to mail a letter. You don't even know what a letter is; how to write one or how to send it to someone via postal service. I remember you looked at me so strangely when I told you about telephone books, phones that only made calls and were connected to a line in the wall, and having to look things up in books. You don't even really understand what it was like to have a debate with someone over trivial things. We used to spend hours going back and forth about who was the greatest hitter of all time or what the name of that movie was we saw a year ago. You just look it up now without having to think at all. Not only do you not know what it is like not to have instant access to everything online but you have it with you at all times now. That is so strange to me.

You may be reading this on your holographic 3D screen in your car dashboard, but my message is the same no matter what. I love you so much and I am proud of you.

Now at least look like you are driving safe, turn this off and watch the airspace in front of you.

p.s. sorry about the o-zone but we really didn't think it was a real thing when they told us about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment