Friday, November 11, 2011

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies

I love a good cookie. Soft but not cakey, solid but not crunchy. I'm sort of a cookie snob.

If you are checking out his blog for how to make these cookies, there are other blogs about that sort of thing. I am no baker.

Tonight I tried a new cookie made from the unusual combination of chocolate chips and pumpkin. Now I'm sure if you grew up on a pumpkin farm or lived somewhere pumpkins are lining the street, you have tasted this variety of cookie before. I had not. But as I tasted them I was reminded of a few very important things.

I was reminded that I love cookies. I love cake and pie and candy, sure, but cookies hold a special place for me. They are small and not too filling and they are a wonderful way to break the ice in a new place. Introduce cookies at a new job or church function and you instantly have a circle of friends around you.

More importantly than the reminder of my love of cookies, was the reminder to try new things. If I had looked at that cookie and decided before hand it was too "weird" of a combination or if I had thought the fact that I had never heard of these cookies before was a good enough reason not to try it, I would have missed out on something wonderful.

Even more importantly than trying new things, I was reminded of how sometimes strange things that don't seem like they go well together can turn out some amazing results when allowed to do their own thing together. It can be a great thing to have people like you around you but when you invite those not like you to be a part of your world, it can be awesome.

Thanks for the cookies Matt. Thanks even more for the life lessons. Now, go bake me a cranberry pie to learn from.

2 comments:

  1. I love pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. My grandma use to make them all the time. She'd make some with white chocolate, and some with regular semi-sweet chips. Until a couple weeks ago I had forgotten about them (except for an occasional craving) and then I had pumpkin flavored frozen yogurt and I determined myself to find Grandma's old recipe. Made a triple batch and froze 2 batches worth of dough. The cookies lasted my family exactly a day and a half!!

    ReplyDelete