Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Third Chances

I played little league when I was young and was not very good at it. There were always better kids that understood intricacies of the game I had not even heard of yet. They were full of player stats and technique while I was barely able to catch or throw. I would rarely get on base and if I did, it was usually because I got walked.

One year, my team was in the running for third place. Tony's Meats had already clinched first place but it was our chance for third. It was the top of the ninth and I was again playing my natural position of left field. I was so far back I could hardly see the plate but I heard the crack of the bat against the ball and then I saw it; the ball that would seal my destiny. Remembering back, I can see the flash forward all over again. If I don't catch the ball I will never live it down. Everyone will laugh and I will forever be the guy that couldn't catch that simple fly out to left. Then again, if I catch the ball I will be an instant hero and cheered for years to come. I will go places when I am old and they will chant my name in the streets.

I got so nervous thinking about what lay ahead in my future with the outcome of this play and then it happened; the ball landed in my glove. I was beaming from ear to ear. I couldn't believe it. I had done it. And just then I felt my grip on the ball escape me and I watched in horror as the ball bounced out of my glove and into the grass.

I picked it up and threw it with all my might to second base but the damage had been done. The pitcher struck the next batter out and I slowly made my way back to the dugout/fenced in bench. I kept my head down as I made my way to the far end of the bench but before I could sit down the coach reminded me I was on deck. Now the pressure was on.

I found my helmet and practice bat and was stopped by my coach. "Shake it off. You got this one." A rare moment of encouragement but all I needed to hear right then. We were tied and the guy in front of me just hit a double. Now was my chance. I stepped to the plate, the pitcher hurled the ball towards me and...Strike! I missed it! How could this be? I was so focused. Second pitch, dirt. Third pitch, strike two! What? Now was my chance for redemption and I was blowing it. If I miss this one I am really sunk.

The pitcher threw the ball and I gave it everything I had. Smack! Right into left field and directly towards the fielder. I know you are not supposed to watch the ball as you run the bases but I couldn't help myself, this was the longest hit I had ever gotten and was not going to miss this for the world. I watched as the ball landed in the grass right in front of the guys glove. Our runner headed home and the game was over before I made it to third, but I will never forget the way I felt that night. Not a care in the world to total devastation, to confidence to fear, to exhilaration and then to empathy.

I still have that tiny third place trophy, but I don't need it be be reminded of the lessons I learned that night.

Everyone deserves a third chance.

1 comment:

  1. Good memories of the old Khory league. Did you play more than two years? The two years I played my team clinched 4th place out of the four teams in our league. In two years we only won one game and that was against the Wright City team. I thought your team was generally better than Wright City so 2nd place would have been for you. And yep Tony Meats always had the stacked team and was first every year.

    Now they have the Little League and players go through a draft so no one can stack the teams like they did when we were kids.

    Glad you made that hit. More than I ever did. As a fielder I was in right field and no one ever hit to me.

    ReplyDelete