Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Boy With No Name

Since I can remember, I have never been given a nickname. Sure, I have a name my parents called me for a few years that pops up from time to time, but nothing that has become common knowledge that everyone calls me.

I was always a little envious of those guys that had cool nicknames and I was always impressed when the nicknames were so well accepted by the general public that they now have to list themselves on facebook under that name. (This one is for you Peach)

I have too simple a name for some one to make shorter into something cool like going from Charles to Chuck or Chucky or Chuckles. Like Robert to Bobby to Bob or Bob-o. Just Joe. There are still those that find it entertaining to add the Y to the end but why would you want to give someone a nickname longer than that of their real name?

I wanted so much to have a nickname while growing up but now it seems too late for that to happen. If a guy goes by Bobby while growing up, then he will forever be Bobby. If a guy goes by James instead of Jim or Jimmy, then he is destined to be James the rest of his life. Me, I am a Joe. Just regular Joe. Nothing fancy. Nothing creative. Just Joe. And that's good enough for me.

2 comments:

  1. I plan on being Eddie for the rest of my life. My family, particularly my dad and Kay call me Boo. It never really stuck with others... For good reason. I always liked the last name thing. Doesn't work for you so much, but it works for Teson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did go by Joey growing up so now that you are just Joe, it did get smaller. I think your mom prefers Joey because she never envisioned you being a Joe. She thought of you as a Joseph but called you Joey when you were younger. That's how she exclaimed to me anyway. She never thought of people being confused between you and your dad because she didn't think you would ever go by Joe.

    I had a friend in college that went by Spartacus. Most people didn't actually know her real name. So when Facebook came out and she decided to start going by her real name it quite confused people. After college she stopped using the name. So props to Peach.

    ReplyDelete