Friday, September 2, 2011

I want to ride my bicycle

Help! I am turning into a Californian and have given serious consideration to selling my car and riding my bike to work and everywhere.

I looked into it and my car would be easy to sell and in doing so, I would be able to save a ton of money. No insurance, no gas, no regular maintenance costs. The whole plan was set and ready to be put into place. Then I went to go buy a bike.

The first shop visited was a small, local place apparently frequented by the hippie elite with money to spend on elegant bike attire but not haircuts or t-shirts without holes. When asked about the cost of a new bike, and I was unable to accurately describe what make, model and size required, I was quietly mocked. With my ego bruised by the scoffing hobos, I moved on to the next place.

Another local place, but a little more on the pricey side. Walking through the front door, the smell of fresh tire rubber filled my nostrils almost identical to that of a car dealership. I was greeted with a smile, walked around the store and taken on a ride around the block on the "cheap" model. It was amazing. Then I was smacked in the face with the price. Buying a bike is one thing, but then comes the helmet, water bottle, and on and on and on...I could buy a bike or feed a small country for a year.

I will be putting my bike riding on hold for a bit but I look forward to the experience. Don't rush me.

No comments:

Post a Comment