Friday, September 16, 2011

Earthquake!

The other day I felt my first earthquake. I have been in big earthquakes before but never felt them. I have either been asleep or driving so I was unaware of them.

It was nothing crazy. Most people in the area didn't even feel it here being so used to them and generally unaware of their surroundings. I am more familiar with other acts of God such as tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, forest fires and so on. But I honestly did not know what to do the moment it happened.

I am a huge emergency nerd. I have a three day supply of packaged water and nutrition bars in my car. I have all the roadside flares, ropes, flashlights, first aid kits and hand crank powered radios one can possibly have and still be considered sane by most standards. I have a plan for just about anything that can happen and I am always the first guy on the scene of an accident. Fortunately for you I have all that stuff and am just the guy you need around for that sort of thing.

The earthquake happened so suddenly and was over before I knew it, I didn't have time to process it. I now am familiar with the sound that happens before and I have gone over my emergency plan several times since, but I suppose you never can be completely ready. But that won't stop me from making another trip to REI for more gear.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh earthquakes. I remember those from when I lived in Utah. Mostly I remember the drills but I do remember the feeling. The first one I ever felt was rather unsettling as well :)

    ReplyDelete