Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Please Don't Push Me

I am sure there are times when I refuse help I really shouldn't. When I go to lift something heavy and there is another guy in the room, I will sometimes refuse the offer to assist me in my endeavour. When I have been stuck on the side of the road due to a flat tire and while in the middle of changing it someone stops to see if I need a hand, I usually (always) let them know I am in control of the situation but thanks anyway. I know that these are people who truly want to make life a little easier on others, like me, who get in jams sometimes and could use another somebody to help them out. Thank you to those of you who are those people. You make a difference everyday. For those of you pushing the membership cards at supermarkets, give it a rest.

Where I live, like so many of you out there, the loyalty cards to supermarkets have become points of pride. I know one guy (and probably more) who has seventeen loyalty cards twisted onto his key ring. One for the gas station near the house, one for the gas station near work, one for the grocery store, one for the other grocery store that has that brand of hot dogs I like, and so on. So much for loyalty. But this is not where my story is headed.

Today I was asked if I possessed such a card for the particular store I was shopping at. I said no and proceeded to hand the cashier the twenty dollar bill I intended to pay with. When I answered "no", she stopped, looked at me almost out of pity and said, "Why not? It's free." I told her I was not interested. She was not going to let it go. "But you could save a lot of money with one. You should get one. Here, I will let you fill out the information card right here and I will turn it in for you. Now what did I do with my pen?" Once she let me get a word in, I explained this was a one time purchase and that I do not shop regularly in this store. Now I had hurt her feelings. She scanned the item and with a look of disappointment, handed me my change.

I am sure she was only trying to give me a leg up in this rough economy, but if I say no thank you, please continue to let me purchase the item I came in for and leave without the additional harassment. Don't push me into making a commitment of loyalty I do not intend on keeping.

1 comment:

  1. I like the Kroger here where if you don't have your own card the cashier just pulls out a card and scans it giving you the discounts anyway. I never really thought of them as loyalty cards but I guess that is what each store is competing for...your loyalty. People will keep buying food and gas even in a bad economy. The stores are just hopping that whatever you buy is with them.

    ReplyDelete