Friday, October 28, 2011

Jobs Plan

I don't consider myself a politically driven person but I believe as a citizen of this country it is important to remain informed so when it comes time to vote, I can make an educated decision. Or at least know which way to hope for when I flip a coin. Either way, I do follow things as they happen and as you would have guessed the economy is at the forefront of many debates along with employment and taxes.

I had a thought the other day that might very well put an end to all of those issues. I developed my jobs plan in a single evening so if it has its flaws please point them out.

1-8-5
Each person should have one job, work it eight hours a day, only five days a week. I think the idea that there are no jobs is false. There are enough jobs, but those of us with jobs each have two or more to cover taxes and health care or simply because we as a society have been living outside of our means for so long. If we were able to work one job and be paid enough for it to allow us to live above the poverty line (16,000/yr) and within our own salaries, the taxes that we pay into programs like welfare and social security could be lowered and that little extra could be translated into new purchases to boost the economy.

That was way too heavy for this arena I know, but I thought it was an interesting, somewhat out of the box idea and thought I would share it.

I will leave you with this last thought:
When I was working as a high school custodian, there was a navy seal retired named Jerry that also worked with us. He was a great guy and a hard worker but he had a saying that never left me; "You work eight hours, you sleep eight hours, you have eight hours of fun." Sounds like a good plan to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment