Thursday, October 13, 2011

Banter

How much of a human's lifetime is lost to idle chatter? Banter is the forgotten moments of talking, small or otherwise, that make good moments in your life great. Without it we would spend that time with our friends and family, coworkers and aquaintences, in silence.

On the other hand, maybe that wouldn't be so bad. Perhaps that is something we are all missing. We have plenty of chances to talk, but how often are we encouraged (in a positive way) to be still and listen even when the other person is silent. We should be comfortable in our silence with each other. I think being still in the presence of someone else demonstrates true intimacy.

I love when people fall asleep on my couch or in my car. It shows me the person feels safe and comfortable.

If only we felt that safe and secure with those we banter with.

No comments:

Post a Comment