Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Uncle

Do you know why people cry out "uncle" in an effort of submission? It is because when a baby is born and one becomes an uncle (specifically when one becomes an Uncle Joe) you loose all sense of self and are completely surrendered to that child.

I do want to apologize to you regular readers as I have been less than consistent as of late, but I will blame that on the wrinkled thing that will soon enough call me Uncle Joe.

This is not the first time being an uncle for me. I have been Uncle Joe before to not only nieces and nephews but also to close friends and their kids. For me, whether called out in excitement or pain or while begging to stay up just a little bit longer to have a snack, the name cuts me to the quick. And I love it every time.

To be an uncle is more to me than just having another member of the family or being the sometimes babysitter. I  love walking into a room and hearing the surprised voice of a toddler cry out to me. I love getting cards in the mail addressed to Uncle Joe. Just the thought of the kids who know me as that makes me smile brings a glint of tears to my eyes.

I have written before about the fact that I love kids. Know what I love even more? Being completely available for them at a moments notice no matter what.
Mackenzie
aka: heart thief

Looks like another one has stolen my heart.
I give up.
Uncle.


1 comment: