Monday, April 15, 2013

Reminder

The events of the day should serve as a reminder to us. Not necessarily that we are a nation despised or a nation prepared. Not specifically that we have great leadership or wonderful volunteers. Today should serve as a reminder of what your life is really all about.

I know that sounds a little too deep and way to general so I will share with you only what went through my head today when I heard. I thought about home. Who was at home or where they might be if not. I thought about the people who would not be going home tonight but instead to a hospital or nowhere else ever again. I thought "what can I do?" but that was immediately replaced with "what am I doing?" and for the rest of the afternoon, the life I live seemed to be a distraction to my own thoughts.

The fact that every second of our lives is now in some way being recorded astonished me. It blew me away at how many different angles and vantage points were recording the stragglers of a race already won more than two hours earlier. I watched with horror over and over again, the reactions of those nearest the first event. There were all sorts of different people from different backgrounds and they all reacted instantly at the same moment.

Some dropped for cover and hid. Others grabbed the nearest person to them and held them close. Some just stood there and wondered what could possibly be happening while still others made a 180 and ran to assist those who needed it. I watched one man just a few feet away from finishing what I imagine was a goal taking up several months if not more of his life. Surprised by the noise and then turned around and went to help. All that training and work and it was more important to aid the wounded then to complete his own goals.

I have nothing to say about those no longer with us today. I did not know them or their lives but they did teach us to live in the moment and perhaps their loss can serve as a reminder to us to reset our own goals and perhaps make sure we don't turn our backs on those that need it to fulfill our own wants or needs.



No comments:

Post a Comment