Monday, January 23, 2012

Soggy Wallet

A funny thing happened to me the other day. I am a predictable person in most areas in my life. I have a routine for almost everything, not to the point of being obsessive, but definitely predictable. A couple of days ago I was performing my pre-bed ritual which involves me checking my phone one last time before setting it to vibrate, letting the dog outside one more time, double checking my alarm is set by turning it off and back on again (ok, a little obsessive), and setting out my keys, wallet, phone and pocket knife on my desk. I had almost settled in for the night when I noticed, my wallet was missing. In my head I quickly ran through the day, highlighting the times and places I had taken it out. After taking the three extra seconds to do this I realized it must still be in my pants pocket. Oh no! I just put the clothes in the washer! Would I get to it in time before the water reached the pants? Nope. I ended up having to drain the washer and pull out the wet clothes and rifle through them on the garage floor only to find my wallet thoroughly marinated with soapy water.

While I was drying out the wallet and wiping down my debit card and the various gift card I had in there, I kept thinking to myself, "what are you? ten?" I haven't left anything in my pocket to be washed in years. And then it hit me: I have been doing a lot of things in the last few weeks that I haven't done since I was ten. Here are the top five things I have done lately I haven't since I was ten:

1. Washed my wallet
2. Scraped my knees (mountain biking accident. another story.)
3. Went on a bike ride
4. Watched Sesame Street
5. Took a picture with a camera that uses film

So why did it take that long? Except for the wallet mishap, I enjoyed doing all those things. I hope I will never grow too old to appreciate those simple little things that make us feel like kids again. Try it out sometime and if you feel like a fool while you do it, you'll know you're doing it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment